Sunday, December 13, 2009

Vintage Christmas Monday - "Softlines"

This week I'm sharing the softer side of my vintage Christmas decor- fabric and soft flocked plastic.  I have really been lucky with thrifting some great Christmas stuff this year.  One of my favorite finds was this printed flannel tree skirt for a dollar.  The graphics are great and it's hard to tell with my non-photography skills and equipment, but there is a slight metallic gold sheen on some of the printing.  There was some yellowing and a stain on the Merry Christmas part, but an overnight soak in a little Oxy Clean helped a lot.  Even though this is a small skirt, I think it looks okay as an "overlay" to my plain red tree skirt.  At least it gives it some vintage character!







In this blog that I have recently begun, I mostly talk about things that I have from my Grandmom (maternal Grandmother).  I don't have a lot of things from my Grandmother on my Dad's side, so this tablecloth is really special to me.  My Grandmother died a month before I graduated from high school, and my Dad had a lot of her things packed up in the attic for almost 20 years.  We were going through some things this summer, and in one of the boxes we found the tablecloth.  I can remember this on her dining room table every Christmas Day for lunch.  As soon as I saw it, I was transported back.  I could smell the delicious food, and almost hear the sound of her electric knife slicing the turkey and ham.  Being in storage so long, it was yellowed and stained, so Oxy Clean to the rescue again.  It was a little too small for my dining room table, so I draped it on the top of my china cabinet.  I think she would approve.








This little inflatable reindeer was part of a pair- I have no idea where the other one is, but at least I still have one.  My Grandad was always taking pictures, and I think this was a Fujifilm premium.  Maybe like one of those deals where you send off proof of purchase "points" to get a freebie.  I think I first had them when I was about four or five, so definitely a vintage item!  It's soft plastic flocked with green.  It squeaks when squeezed, so I have to keep our dog Casey away from it! 





So that's my contribution this week.  Please go check out all the amazing collections of vintage Christmas items featured on Joan's blog, Anything Goes Here.  She is the amazing hostess of Vintage Christmas Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Hello Paige... oooh, your treasures are wonderful... your tree skirt is beautiful! And your grandma's tablecloth looks so pretty on top of your china cabinet... I am sure your grandma is looking down on it with love and smiling as you recall your happy memories of Christmas time with her... Bisous... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tree skirt and such a bargain! Looks great under your tree. Now that table cloth is wonderful and such memories! I love how you used it on top of your china cabinet! Your funny blow up reindeer is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reindeer made me smile. I've never seen anything like it. I also love when there are special memories attached to an item. The beautiful tablecloth bringing back memories of food your grandmother cooked is wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tree skirt, and how you decided to display that tablecloth. I have a vague memory of those inflatable thingies - surprising any of them survived!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot about all the inflated reindeer, santas and snowmen, you dont find them to often.Thanks for sharing your grandmothers goodies you inherited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tree skirt and what a bargain!
    I love how you've been able to incorporate your grandmother's tablecloth into your Christmas decorating. It looks wonderful displayed on your hutch.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tree skirt! Great price too. Isn't Oxy Clean wonderful? How cool that you got to go through your grandma's treaures, and were able to use them. Please come by for a visit, I am having a vintage Christmas giveaway.

    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that adorable tree skirt, and I can see the gold shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved hearing about your memories of your Grandmother, and remembering that beautiful tablecloth! It looks wonderful up there on your china cabinet. And that tree skirt is absolutely beautiful, so vintagey perfect! What a lucky find. I'm going to miss VCM so much, aren't you?
    Merry Christmas and Happy VCM!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!