Monday, January 11, 2010

Vintage Kitchen

I have a lot of things that I rescued from my Great Aunt's farmhouse in southern Georgia.  On my last trip my Mom and I found some interesting little kitchen items. 

The first thing I found was a card with mending patches on it.  The brand name is "E-Z-MEND-RS"  and the purpose was to patch holes in metal enamel pots and pans.  The little wrench was missing, but there were three "patches" still attached to the card.


The patent date of Nov. 12, 1938 is printed on the back.


The next item was my favorite.  The Gadget-Master Spiral Slicer  from Popeil Bros. in Chicago.  It's basically a blade with a hole for your finger and a screw to attach to the fruit or vegetable you want sliced.





The instructions read "When vegetable is completely sliced, attach both ends to gather with a toothpick for a rosette effect." 

Can't you just see a cucumber ring garnishing a platter at a bridal shower in 1942?  I haven't tried it yet, but I'll post the results when I do!

3 comments:

  1. Would love to have a farmhouse in Georgia to dig up some treasures in! Love that pot mender card - you can sure tell the thriftiness of that generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh those are wonderful! I love to collect vintage kitchen utensils... those are treasures, especially because they once belonged to your great~aunt... precious memories... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pot mender card is wonderful. Never heard of such but that is a real treasure. The spiral cutter, oh you have to try it and show us the results!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!